Week 6 is here and your Winter Green farmers are going strong! We hope you’re enjoying your summer so far, and all the delicious food in your share each week.
We’re six weeks into this CSA season and it seems like time is just slipping away! If you haven’t already set up payment arrangements with us, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with us here at the farm. You’re welcome to send a check or pay by card. Just get in touch at 541-935-1920 or email email@example.com.
Don’t forget to check out our website! You can find shop merchandise, get in touch with Winter Green Beef, or place a vacation request. Please remember we are asking for seven day’s notice for vacation requests to avoid any last minute confusion.
Don’t forget to check your name off the list when you pick up your share so we know you got your box. If your name isn’t on the list, please don’t take a box! We will have plenty of labeled blueberry flats these next two weeks, and they’ve all been paid for ahead of time. Please only take blueberry flats or other orders if your name is on them, even if you think yours should be there. If you think there’s a mistake, please get ahold of us at the farm and we’ll sort it out.
On the flip side, there have been a lot of leftover boxes from missed pickups. We know summer is busy, but don’t forget to pick up your shares! If you’re going to be late, give your site host a call to see if you can work something out, otherwise the shares are fair game after the 7pm deadline. Market shares do come back to the farm, but we only hold them for a few days before donating them. For those picking up over the weekend at the farm, those shares only hang out until end-of-day Monday, when they are moved to another cooler to be donated.
We have blueberries! We’ve partnered with Berkey’s Blueberries to provide blueberries in your shares for the next two weeks, and we still have extra flats available. Check out our website to place your order and get your berries delivered with your regular CSA delivery. Orders will be placed exclusively online and we will only have enough for those who place orders.
We pack the boxes on Tuesdays and Fridays, but for those who pick up on Wednesdays or at the markets over the weekend, we will still deliver on your normal day. Just choose the packing day that corresponds to your delivery (Tuesday for Wednesday deliveries, Friday for weekend deliveries) and we’ll get it to you with your regular share.
Didn’t get everything you wanted in your share this week? Check out one of our stands at the Farmer’s Markets! Find us in Portland at the Hollywood Market on Saturdays and the King Market on Sundays, or in Eugene at our Wednesday Farm Stand at the corner of 18th and Polk or at the Lane County Farmer’s Market on Saturdays. We’d love to see you!
Did you know that July is full of wacky holidays? If you’re looking for things to do this month, maybe one of these fun celebrations will give you some inspiration!
- July is National Watermelon Month
- July 7-13 is National Farriers Week
- July 8 is International Town Criers Day
- July 17 is World Emoji Day
- July 20-28 is National Moth Week
- July 22 is Spooner’s Day
- July 25 is National Day of the Cowboy
- July 27 is Take Your Houseplants for a Walk Day
Hopefully that helps, if only to give you something to giggle at!
What’s in Your Box:
We aren’t always able to harvest our veggies in equal value, so if you don’t receive something in your box this week, don’t stress! We’re keeping excellent notes and we’ll make sure to get you next time. If you’re getting a half share this season, we do try to make sure everybody gets everything at least once, but sometimes the harvest doesn’t work out that way for those that are every other week. We appreciate your understanding as we strive to fill your boxes with everything we can each week.
- Blueberries: Blueberries shouldn’t be rinsed until you’re ready to eat them. Their natural coating protects them from decay. They will keep well in the fridge for up to 10 days and can be frozen on cookie sheets. They store best in Ziploc bags or sealable containers.
- Potatoes: We wash the “field soil” off your potatoes, but scrub them well and cut off any sprouts or green skin when you’re ready to cook. No need to peel. Store potatoes in a cool, dark, dry place such as a loosely closed paper bag in a cupboard or closet. They should keep for weeks at room temperature, or longer if kept between 40-50 degrees, which is ideal.
What We’re Making:
- Pastas are always great as a side or a main dish, and I’m dying to try this Pasta with Collard Greens and Onions.
- I love comfort food, but I also love trying something new. So, this Carmalized Onion Fritatta is right on the money.
- Strawberries are a summertime favorite and taste the best in a delicious treat, like these Strawberry Squares.
- Blueberry Muffins are great for breakfast, dessert, or a snack on the go.
- What is Zucchini Bread without a little chocolate? We all deserve something sweet every once in a while.
- Everyone loves a good Taco Tuesday. How about this Healthy Taco Salad to top off your night?
- These days, I always feel guilty for eating mashed potatoes, but who can go wrong when “Skinny” is in the title? I hope you’re as excited as I am to try these Skinny Garlic Mashed Potatoes.
- Looking for a way to spice up your life? Try these Moroccan Spiced Carrots.
We made the Strawberry No-Bake Cheesecake from last week and it has become an instant favorite. Our Winter Green Strawberries were the perfect touch and tasted delicious! What are you making? Send us a picture at firstname.lastname@example.org, add a recipe, and you may see it on our blog! Tag us on social media (Instagram – @wintergreenfarm or Facebook – Winter Green Farm) and see what everyone else is making, too!
Enjoy these beautiful days and the heat while we have it. Get out on the water, spend time with loved ones, and fill your table with delicious blessings straight from the farm.
Chelsea, Linda, and your Winter Green farmers