Welcome to Week Six of the 2022 CSA Season! We are well into July by now, and the veggies are loving all the sunshine and warmth! We hope you’re out there enjoying these beautiful summer days, and are able to use these delicious veggies for your table!
Let Us Know if You’re Going on Vacation!
We understand that summer is the time when most of us take off to see family or go on adventures, and that sometimes those trips conflict with your delivery schedule. That’s okay! We’re more than happy to work with you so you get the most out of your share this season. Just let me know when you’re leaving at least 7 days in advance, and I’ll make the changes to your schedule. You can either take a credit toward next year’s season, or give your share to Food for Lane County as a tax-deductible donation. Let me know as soon as you know so I can help!
Thank you for respecting your site hosts!
We are so appreciative of our site hosts and their willingness to volunteer their time, porches, and driveways to make deliveries that much more convenient. Please help us take care of their donation but showing up within the pickup window, taking all your veggies (including carrot tops and things you don’t want) with you, and stacking the Winter Green Farm bins in a tidy way after you transfer your veggies into your own container. Our site hosts are so important to us, and our CSA program wouldn’t be the same without them! Thank you so much for your help!
For those of you on the Extended Half Share program (12 weeks), this is your week! Don’t forget to check your name off the list so we know you got your share! If your name is not on the list, please don’t take a box. We only pack enough boxes for those on the list, so even if you think your name should be there, you’ll be taking someone else’s box. If there is a mistake on the list, please reach out to me here at the farm and I’ll get back to you on our next business day to look into the issue. You can reach me by email at [email protected] (the best way to reach me) or by phone at 541-935-1920.
Come See Us at the Farmers’ Markets!
We love that you’re part of the CSA this year and that we can be part of your food journey. But we also know that sometimes you might be craving something that doesn’t end up in your share. Come see us at the Farmers’ Markets! We would love to help you find just what you need. You can find us in Eugene on Wednesdays at the Farm Stand at 18th and Polk, or on Saturdays at the Lane County Farmers’ Market! Or, if you’re in Portland, we’ll be at the King Market on Sundays. We would love to see you!
We do still have Standard Season shares available, so if you know someone interested in joining us this season, send them our way! Or, if you’re a half share and would like to get veggies every week, we can upgrade you to a full share for the Standard Season. Just let me know!
A Notice for SW Alice Folks!
For those of you who pick up at the SW Alice location on Wednesdays, there will be a few changes for your site! Your wonderful site hosts have sold their home, but they’ve already arranged for their neighbors to take over. Over the next two weeks, you’ll notice a sign letting you know the site will be moving next door in a few weeks, though Lindsey will still be there to guide the transition. We’re so excited for these changes, and so grateful for everything our site hosts have done for us here at the farm.
What’s in Your Box this Week:
We aren’t always able to harvest our veggies in equal share, but don’t worry! We’re keeping excellent notes. If we don’t get you something this time, we’ll do our best to get it to you next time.
- Basil: Remove basil leaves from the stem. Wrap in a damp towel and refrigerate. Wash the basil gently just before using. Fresh basil deteriorates very quickly, so use promptly! For longer storage, make small bundles and hang them to dry, make and freeze pesto, or freeze fresh leaves in a zip-lock (remove air, seal, and freeze). Toss whole leaves into salad or pasta, layer leaves on sandwiches and pizza, chop and sprinkle into salad dressing, soups, potatoes, eggs, and pasta.
What We’re Making:
- The strawberries are so beautiful this year, and they’re coming up in abundance! If you’re so inclined, go ahead and give this Creme Fraiche Cheesecakes with Strawberry Caramel a try!
- Looking for a delicious healthy snack? These Braised Romaine Lettuce Crostinis look amazing!
- Summer is the perfect time for a tasty salad like this Garlicky Grilled Kale Salad with Grilled Bread to cool you down!
- Have you seen the beets this season? They’re huge! And they’re absolutely beautiful. I bet they’d taste delicious in this Creamy Polenta Recipe with Roasted Beets!
- Every loves a guilt-free snack, and I’m dying to try these Low Fat Baked Onion Rings!
- Is there anything better than the delicious smell of basil? Maybe this Tomato Basil Pasta!
Summer is definitely upon us now, and the days are heating up! We’re so excited to be on this food journey with you, and can’t wait to give you as many veggies as we can this season!
Chelsea and your Winter Green farmers