It is hot, hot, hot this week! We hope you’re all staying cool and finishing up the summer in style. We’re so excited we’re able to tag along on your food journey with you this year, and we can’t wait for you to get this week’s box!
With the heatwave this week please2 try to pick up your share as early as you can within the regular pick-up window to preserve the delicate produce!
Just a friendly reminder that I am in South Africa this week and next, Chris and Shannon will be checking messages in the office while I’m gone. I’ll be sharing lots of pictures when I get back! Vacation requests for the rest of August were due August 1st, so if you aren’t able to pick up your share while I’m gone, please see if a friend can pick it up for you, as we won’t be able to adjust anything from the office. If you aren’t able to meet your 7pm deadline for residential sites, give your site host a call to see if they’re able to make arrangements. But please remember your site hosts are volunteers, and donate their time! If you’re a market share and miss your box, we will not be able to reroute them for the next couple weeks.
Please remember to check your name off the list and only take a share if your name is there! We’ve had a little bit of confusion lately, but I’m hoping it won’t be an issue anymore. If you think your name should be there and it isn’t, shoot me an email at [email protected] and I’ll look into it when I’m back in the country.
A few changes while I’m away!
I’d like to take a moment to go over the changes during the two weeks that I’ll be in South Africa. Deliveries will, of course, continue as normal, but some of the normal procedures will be modified or put on hold all together.
- All vacation requests for August 8 through September 4 were due no later than August 1st. I have to get all the lists prepared and ready for the harvest crew in advance, so any requests received after August 1st for that time frame will not be processed.
- Estimate emails will not be going out from August 11th to August 27th. We will do our best to get the blog out on Tuesdays, but as the majority of it will be written before I leave, it will be a truncated version.
- Emails and phone messages will be checked sporadically. If you have something time-sensitive (that does not pertain to holding a share, missing a box, or changing the schedule in any way), give the office a call and leave a voicemail. Chris and Shannon will be checking those while I’m gone, but since most of their time is spent out on the farm, they won’t be handling anything with the schedule, and may not be able to give you a call back that day. You can find the majority of the answers to questions about delivery sites or the CSA in general on our website. For anything else, send an email, and I will answer when I’m back in the country.
We will not be at the Eugene Farm Stand this week!
It looks like it’s supposed to be close to 100 degrees this Wednesday! Because of that, we won’t be doing the Eugene Farm Stand at 18th and Polk on Wednesday, August 16. We are still have a tent set up for shares, and you’ll be able to pick your shares up at the normal time, 2pm to 6pm. If you’re able, come early to pick them up, so they aren’t sitting in the hot sun for too long. If this changes and we have to reroute your shares, we’ll reach out and let you know.
As of right now, we will still be at the Lane County Farmers’ Market in Eugene on Saturday and the King Market on Sunday. If that changes, we’ll let you know.
We’re delivering strawberry flats this week!
For those ordered strawberry flats, check your email ! We’re continuing deliveries this week and will continue to do so next week as well. Your email and the invoice sent from the website will contain the cost and the delivery date. Please read the delivery date carefully! The patches are starting to slow down, so we aren’t doing them all at once. All the flats will have labels on them, so read those carefully as well. If you believe yours should be there (and the day you checked matches the delivery date in the email), send me an email and I’ll address it when I’m back in the country.
Because I will not be in the office, strawberry orders for flats did close already. You’re more than welcome to check the markets for flats of strawberries, or check to see if we’ll still have them when I get back, but because the patches are slowing down, there’s a very good chance we won’t be able to offer any more flats through the CSA. Thank you so much for your understanding!
What’s in your box this week
- green beans
- summer squash
- lettuce (some sites only)
- eggplant (some sites only)
- strawberries (some sites only)
We aren’t always able to harvest our veggies in equal share, but don’t worry! We’re keeping excellent notes. If we aren’t able to get you something this time, we’ll do our best to get you next time.
What we’re making:
- Have you ever had potatoes make your mouth water? These Melt in your Mouth Potatoes look fantastic!
- This Creamy Zucchini Pasta looks absolutely delicious!
- Have you ever tried Baba Ganoush? This recipe is supposed to be friendly to beginners!
- Red onions are the perfect addition to so many meals, and this Egg-Topped Avacado Toast is no exception!
- Looking for something to do with your cherry tomatoes (other than eat them like candy)? Try this Sungold Tomatoes & Crispy Garlic Butter recipe!
- It very well may be too hot to cook this week, so try this Cucumber Noodle Salad with Shrimp!
- Nothing says summer like tomatoes, and this Gazpacho is the perfect meal on a hot summer night!
We hope you’re all having a wonderful summer and finding ways to stay cool and eat delicious food!
Chelsea and your Winter Green farmers