How is your summer going? Ours has been fantastic, even if it is a little warm! We hope you’re all enjoying the last days of summer before school starts, and making unforgettable memories (and great food!) with your loved ones.
Don’t forget to check your name off the list and let us know you got your share! If your name isn’t on the list and you think it should be, please don’t take a box! Let me know by emailing me here at the farm ([email protected]) and I’ll look into it and get back to you the next business day.
If you’re going on vacation anytime during the rest of the season, let us know! We can issue a credit towards next season’s share, or donate your share to Food for Lane County. Please do note that we require at least 7 days notice to make any changes to your account. I’ll be back in the office as of August 28th, so I’ll be able to start processing vacation requests again after that time.
Just a reminder that I’m still in South Africa!
I will be out of the office for the rest of this week as well, so in case you aren’t aware of the changes while I’m away, here they are.
- All vacation requests for August 8 through September 4 were due no later than August 1st. I have to get all the lists prepared and ready for the harvest crew in advance, so any requests received after August 1st for that time frame will not be processed.
- Estimate emails will not be going out from August 11th to August 27th. We will do our best to get the blog out on Tuesdays, but as the majority of it will be written before I leave, it will be a truncated version.
- Emails and phone messages will be checked sporadically. If you have something time-sensitive (that does not pertain to holding a share, missing a box, or changing the schedule in any way), give the office a call and leave a voicemail. Chris and Shannon will be checking those while I’m gone, but since most of their time is spent out on the farm, they won’t be handling anything with the schedule, and may not be able to give you a call back that day. You can find the majority of the answers to questions about delivery sites or the CSA in general on our website. For anything else, send an email, and I will answer when I’m back in the country.
What’s going on at the farm?
It’s been really hot, but our crew is working hard to get everything harvested, and even more planted! Potatoes are up in the fields, the corn is almost ready, and the peppers are looking marvelous! Shannon’s still busy in the greenhouse getting things ready for fall, and we are excited for all the summer crops!
We’re back at the markets this week!
Last week was a little too warm to be on that blacktop, but as long as things stay cool (I’m writing this in advance) we should be back at the Eugene Farm Stand this week! You can find us on Wednesday from 2pm to 6pm at the Emmaus Church at 18th and Polk. Can’t make it during the week? Check out our stands in Eugene at the Lane County Farmers’ Market on Saturday and in Portland at the King Market on Sunday. We would love to see you!
What’s in your box this week
- green beans
- bunched greens
- summer squash
- Strawberries (some sites only)
- eggplant (some sites only)
- broccoli (some sites only)
We aren’t always able to harvest our veggies in equal share, but don’t worry! We’re keeping excellent notes. If we aren’t able to get you something this week, we’ll be sure to get you next time.
What we’re making:
- Have you ever wanted to try Smoky Vegan Bacon? If you have carrots, this is a great recipe to try!
- If you like Italian food, this Scarpaccia is an Italian Zucchini Tart you’re bound to enjoy!
- I never know what to do with eggplant, but this Garlicky Eggplant Pasta looks like a great dish to try!
- No matter how you cook them, potatoes are delicious, and this Potato Galette is making me hungry!
- These Tennessee Onions are a cheesy delight you won’t be able to turn down.
- Have you ever wanted to make your own ravioli? Try these Crispy Baked Ravioli with Red Pepper and Mushroom Bolognese!
- If you enjoy the taste of the Mediterranean, you should try this Loaded Italian Pasta Salad!
As these last days of summer come to a close, we hope you’re all gearing up for cooler weather, enjoying the farm’s bounty, and looking forward to the fall harvest!
Chelsea and your Winter Green farmers