Welcome to Week 3 of the 2022 CSA Season! We’re still crossing our fingers for sunshine, but the veggies are still growing! We’re starting to see more and more of our crops peek up through the soil, and we’re so glad we get to share that with you this year!
Standard Half Shares (10 weeks), this is your week!
For those of you on the Standard Half Share (10 weeks) program, this is your week to pick up! Don’t forget to check the list and mark your name off so we know you got your share. Please don’t take a box if your name is not on the list!
If you’ve submitted a vacation request, double-check your schedule to make sure you’ve got your days right. If you need a new schedule, reach out and let me know! I’d be happy to send you a new one. Remember, we need at least 7 days notice to make any changes to your deliveries, so if you know you’re going to be gone, hop on over to our website and fill out a vacation request form. We have to be really strict about that one-week deadline this season, so please make sure you let me know as soon as you know!
Come see us at our farmers markets!
We try to give you as much as we can in your CSA boxes each week, but we know there are times when you might be craving something you didn’t get. Come see us at our farmers markets! In Eugene, you can find us at the Eugene Farm Stand at the Emmaus Church on 18th and Polk on Wednesdays, or at the Lane County Farmers Market on Saturdays. In Portland, we’ll be at the King Market on Sundays. We can’t wait to see you!
Know anyone who may want fresh farm veggies this season? We still have shares available! Please refer your friends and family to our website, or have them reach out to me at the farm. I’d be happy to answer any questions! My phone number is 541-935-1920 or my email is [email protected]. We work with SNAP benefits and the Double-Up Food Bucks grant program, and we have financial assistance available to those who may be in need. We would love to help!
Enjoy fresh flowers with Wild Child Flower Company!
Who doesn’t love fresh flowers to brighten up their home? For those of you who remember Linda, her daughter-in-law Sarah has a flower CSA that we’re thrilled to tell you about! The weekly flower CSA with Wild Child Flower Company begins July 6, and delivers on Wednesdays to various sites in Veneta and Eugene, including our very own Eugene Farm Stand on 18th and Polk! If you’re interested in the gorgeous flowers they have to offer, hop on over to their website and check them out! (It is a separate business, so all flower CSA orders will be done EXCLUSIVELY through Wild Child Flower Company.)
Have a Wonderful Summer Solstice tonight!
Tonight, June 21, 2022, marks this year’s summer solstice! Tonight will be the longest day of sunlight of the year, and typically marks the mid-point of the growing season. The Summer Solstice is celebrated in some traditions as Midsummer, and marks the beginning of the summer season, which will last until mid-September and the autumnal equinox. Many cultures celebrate Midsummer and Midsummer’s Eve with a festival and feast, complete with colorful flowers, great food, and an all-night bonfire. If you’re celebrating the beginning of summer, our delicious Winter Green Farm strawberries will be a nice addition to your feast!
What’s in Your Box this Week:
Some sites only:
We aren’t always able to harvest our veggies in equal share, but don’t worry. We’re keeping excellent notes! If we aren’t able to get you something this time, we’ll be sure to get you next time the veggie is available. Half-share members, please note, we do our best to get you as many veggies as possible, but because your shares are every other week, sometimes that isn’t possible. The only way to guarantee all the veggies end up in your box is to purchase a full share. If you’re interested in upgrading to a Standard Full Share (19 weeks), shoot me an email at [email protected].
Handy Tips and Tricks for your Veggies:
- Carrots: Cut or twist carrot tops off before storing in a plastic bag in the refrigerator. They will keep for several weeks. Clean the carrots well before eating by scrubbing with a vegetable brush under running water. Do not peel unless the carrots are damaged, as much of the nutrients are very close to the skin. Eat carrots raw in sticks, rounds, julienned, or grated. You can also add slices or chunks to soups, stews, or casseroles. Carrots are also delicious lightly steamed or sautéed, and garnished with butter or olive oil and fresh herbs. Try them grated with oil, lemon juice, parsley, garlic, salt, and pepper.
What We’re Making:
- Looking to use kale in a tasty meal with a little spice? Try this Chickpeas and Kale in Spicy Pomodoro Sauce recipe!
- This Steakhouse Salad with Red Chile Dressing and Peanuts looks like an amazing addition to your table for the beginning of summer!
- Summer has been slow to show up this year, but I’ve got a tasty recipe to warm you until the weather heats up. Try this Carrot, Sweet Potato, and Haloumi Baked Rosti!
- Appetizers are a great way to graze on a busy day, and these Crab and Artichoke Stuffed Mushrooms will be perfect!
- The kiddos are home for the summer, and sometimes it’s hard to convince them to eat veggies throughout the day. If your kids are anything like mine, anything with ravioli is a hit! Give this Ravioli with Snap Peas and Mushrooms a go!
- If you’re interested in a grown-up dessert, maybe this Meringue with Pepper and Vodka Strawberries will tickle your fancy!
What are you making this week? Send us a picture and you might see it on our blog or social media! You can find us on Instagram (@wintergreenfarm) or on Facebook (Winter Green Farm). We’d love to see what you’re up to!
We’re so excited to have you with us for yet another week this season, and we hope you’re looking forward to bringing in the summer as much as we are! Thank you for allowing us to tag along on your food journey this year.
Chelsea and your Winter Green farmers