It’s Getting Chilly at Winter Green Farm
The days are getting colder, and it’s getting chilly here at Winter Green Farm. We’re working hard to wrap up all the end-of-year tasks as we prepare for the next harvest year and a bit of a reprieve ourselves for the holidays. We hope you’re all enjoying good food and great memories with your loved ones.
We’re still working on next season’s signups.
Last week, I was hopeful we would get our ducks in a row to open pre-orders for the 2022 season this week. Unfortunately, I underestimated the amount of work that goes into the process–especially in a new system. Rest assured, we are working as hard as we can on the process, and there are many working cogs to this wheel. What I can tell you is it will be different from last season, and will be done exclusively online. When we’re ready to go, there will be a pre-order option in the Winter Green Farm shop that will be accessible by invite only. I will send out an email with the pre-order password, and a time frame for how long it will be available. After that time has elapsed, another email will go out to the Wait List to give them a chance to sign up. The same password will be used, so if you missed the first window, you’ll be able to get registered on the second. After that date has expired, we will open sign-ups to the general public for any spots we have left.
This will all be on a first-come, first-serve basis, so make sure you’re keeping an eye out for the emails. And please, please, please have patience with us during this process. We will be working with two new systems this season, so I’m sure there will be a margin of error on all sides. You all are awesome, so I’m sure we’ll manage just fine together. We look forward to having you all join us for the 2022 CSA Season!
Don’t forget to find us at the markets this month!
We may be done with CSA this season, but we’re not done with our delicious Winter Green veggies. If you’re in the Portland area, come see us at the Hollywood Market on Saturday, December 18, for the last market of the year. If you’re in the Eugene area, you can find us at the Holiday Farmers Market off 5th Street for the next couple Saturdays, also until December 18. We would love to see you!
What’s Going on at the Farm?
Right now, besides preparing for the end of the year, Shannon’s main passion project is the germination chamber for the greenhouse. She and Chad have been pouring over plans, bouncing ideas back and forth, and preparing to put this big project into motion. Using a germination chamber in biodynamic farming has many benefits, especially with weather as fickle as Oregon’s. A germination chamber will allow for more constant humidity, better airflow, and temperature control. It will help us have more control over our plantings, and make Shannon extremely happy.
What We’re Making:
The holidays are upon us and if you’re anything like me, you’re searching for that perfect meal to make with all the veggies you can get your hands on. Here are a few recipes that might give you inspiration!
- Appetizers are probably my favorite part of Christmas Eve, I’m excited to try these Christmas Appetizer Bites with sun-dried tomatoes, pesto, and barley.
- Do you like sweet potatoes? Because if you do, this Cheesy Sweet Potato Gratin may just hit the spot.
- One of the best things about holiday meals is your favorite side dishes can be repeated. If you like Stuffing, check out this recipe.
- This Roasted Butternut Squash Parmesan will make a great addition to your holiday table–or just a tasty snack!
- Vegetables don’t always have to take a backseat to the main course, and this cheesy Carrot Casserole proves it!
- You don’t see many side dishes of parsnips at the holidays, but these Roasted Parsnips may just become a favorite!
- For all those picky eaters who don’t want to eat their vegetables (just the kids, right? No?), this Cheesy Broccoli Cauliflower Casserole may just quiet their protests.
This time of year is full of lights, love, good food, and family. We hope you have wonderful food, make warm memories, and enjoy the people around you this holiday season, no matter how you choose to celebrate.
Chelsea and your Winter Green farmers