Welcome to Week 10 of the 2022 CSA Season! We are so excited to have you with us, especially as we are now officially halfway through the Standard Season! The sun is shine, the energy is buzzing, and the boxes keep getting more colorful each week!
We’re still having a lot of issues with veggies going missing. Full boxes are going missing, pints are being pilfered from flats, and veggies are being taken from peoples’ boxes. Please, please, please, do not take any veggies you haven’t paid for. We only pack enough boxes for those names that are on the list each week, and each of those boxes have been paid for by a member, as have each of the extra flats we send. When someone takes veggies from a box that isn’t theirs, takes pints from the extra flats they didn’t order, or takes a share when their name is not on the list, they are stealing from another member. Please remember to respect other members of the CSA program, and to respect Winter Green Farm, by only taking the veggies you’ve paid for.
If your name isn’t on the list and you believe it should be, please do not take a box. Instead, reach out to me at the farm. You can reach me by phone at 541-935-1920, or by email at [email protected]. I will look into the issue the next business day, and if there was a mistake, I will find a way to make up that box that works for you. But please do not take a share if your name is not on the list! If you have a double share scheduled, there will be a note to take two boxes by your name. If there is not a note, please only take one box. Thank you so much for your understanding and cooperation in this matter. We hate to get reports that people aren’t getting their veggies, and we so appreciate your help in getting this issue to stop.
Are You Interested in Winter Green Beef?
If you have been meaning to reserve a share of our grass-fed beef, now is the time! We have 3 of the 1/4 shares of the non-organic grass-fed beef left. If you would like to reserve a share please contact Linda at [email protected], or visit Winter Green Beef, and fill out the order form online. If you have any questions, you’ll most likely find the answers there, or feel free to email, and we’ll help you out. We’d love to fill your freezer with our delicious, nutritious beef!
Let Us Know If You’re Going on Vacation!
Summer is in full swing, and we know that things come up and we all love to go on vacation. Let us know! I would love to be able to accommodate your schedule, but I need at least 7 days in order to do so. I will be gone for my wedding this month, and again in October for my honeymoon, so everything this summer is being prepared in advance to make sure we don’t miss anyone. The more prepared we are, the smoother everything goes for you. You can fill out a vacation request on our website to either get a credit towards next season’s share, or give your share as a tax-deductible donation to Food for Lane County. Please let me know as soon as you know!
What’s in Your Box This Week?
- Heirloom Tomatoes
- Green Onions
We aren’t always able to harvest our veggies in equal share, but don’t worry! We’re taking excellent notes. If we don’t get a veggie to you this time, we’ll do our best to get it to you the next time that veggie is available.
- Tomatoes: Do not refrigerate tomatoes! You can place them out of the sun at room temperature. Some of our tomatoes are a day or two from being fully ripe, but will be perfect with a little patience. To remove tomato skins, place the whole tomato in boiling water for 30 seconds. Remove with a slotted spoon, dip in cold water, and remove skins. Tomatoes can be frozen whole. Core tomatoes, then place them on a cookie sheet, and freeze them. When they’re solid, place them in a freezer bag and replace them in the freezer. Remove as many tomatoes as you need at the time. Thawed tomatoes are good for cooking and pureed dishes. Salsas, sauces, and purees also freeze well.
What We’re Making This Week:
- Sometimes the best way to eat lettuce is as simple as this Lemon Parmesan Salad.
- It’s been a little bit cooler these last couple days, and I don’t know about you, but it’s giving me hints of fall. That’s why this Coconut Carrot Soup is the perfect fix for a cool summer evening.
- I love a new play on an old favorite, and these Shrimp Enchiladas with Zucchini and Corn look fantastic!
- This Black Bean, Avocado, Cucumber, and Tomato Salad hits all the spots when the evenings are too warm to heat up the house.
- Sometimes comfort food is called for, and this Heirloom Tomato Galette looks delicious!
- It can be hard to get a healthy lunch on the go, but this Easy Chickpea Salad Sandwich is a great way to use those green onions this week!
Thank you so much for allowing us to tag along with you on your food journey this year. We hope you’re busy enjoying the sunshine, spending time with loved ones, and finding a way to stay cool. We look forward to spending the rest of the season with you!
Chelsea and your Winter Green farmers