We’ve made it to mid-August! We are officially halfway through the Standard CSA Season, and the sunflowers are peeking out to say hello! We hope you’re all enjoying this beautiful summer as much as we are!
We are deep in the heart of summer, and we know this is when people go on vacation. We are happy to accommodate! However, we do need at least seven days notice to change even the pick up site, due to our own schedules this season. Because we’re also juggling schedules and trying not to drop the ball, we aren’t able to change anything back with last-minute vacation cancelations. You can fill out a vacation request to let us know as soon as you know when your vacation will be, so we can make sure to make those changes.
Just a reminder for those on the monthly payment plan, September payment reminders went out last week, but payments aren’t due until September 1st! If you sent in post-dated checks, don’t worry! We’ll still get them processed like we have been all season. The email was just a reminder so you know what’s coming out.
Don’t forget to check out our farmers’ markets! The plantings for our CSA are different than for markets, so we sometimes have different veggies than you’ll find in your box. Plus, you get a 10% discount for being a CSA member! Just let us know when you check out. You can find us in Eugene at the Farm Stand on Wednesdays at 18th and Polk from 2pm to 6pm, and on Saturdays at the Lane County Farmers’ Market. If you’re in Portland, you can find us on Sundays at the King Market. We would love to see you!
We’ve had a lot of people asking if we can reuse the pint boxes lately. I wish we could! Unfortunately, there are food safety rules that say we can’t. The good news is they can be recycled!
Surprise! We have plums this week!
We have a wonderful surprise for you this week! Chris and Shannon’s friends, Tom and Megus at Lively Organics, had a surplus of yellow plums this week, so we bought some up and put them in your share! It is for this week only because the plums are a special treat, but we do hope you enjoy them!
If you’ve come to see us at the Eugene Farm Stand on Wednesdays, you’ve met the wonderful farmer that is Lindsey! This is Lindsey’s second season on the farm. She is part of our harvest crew, she does some of our wholesale deliveries, and she runs the Eugene Farm Stand! You may have seen her at the King Market in Portland last season, and you might still see her filling in from time to time. Her favorite veggie we grow on the farm is purple cabbage, and she loves swimming in the river. When she has a little downtime in her busy schedule, she loves to read The Parable by Octavia Butler. Lindsey is such a great part of our crew. It wouldn’t be the same without her!
What’s In Your Box This Week
Some sites only:
- Patty Pan Squash
We aren’t always able to harvest veggies in equal share, but don’t worry! We’re taking excellent notes. If we aren’t able to get you something this time, we’ll do our best to get them to you the next time that veggie is available.
- Cilantro: For short-term storage, wrap cilantro in a damp towel or stand upright in a container with an inch of water and refrigerate. Do not wash cilantro prior to refrigeration. Freeze the fresh leaves in a plastic zip-lock bag, or put a tablespoon of the herb in each ice cube tray section, add a bit of water to cover and freeze. Do not thaw before use. Dried cilantro does not retain its flavor very well. Add fresh leaves to soups, stews, stir-fries, and salads for an aromatic touch. Add cilantro toward the end of cooking time to retain fresh flavor and color. Toss fresh leaves into a green salad.
What We’re Making
- Craving a little spice for your dinner table? Try these Barbacoa Lettuce Wraps!
- This Chili Oil Smashed Cucumber Salad looks like a fun dish to try with those delicious cucumbers!
- While packing the box this morning, we started talking about BLTs, and I couldn’t resist adding this BLT Pasta Salad to the blog!
- If you’re anything like me, you have a bit of a sweet tooth, and these Fudgy Beet Brownies might just satisfy that craving!
- Cilantro works great with tacos, but I’m excited to try this Cucumber and Cilantro Salad!
- In my kitchen, garlic is a staple and I love feta cheese, so this Garlicky Feta Eggplant Pasta is absolutely perfect!
- These surprise yellow plums are great on their own, but they might also be wonderful in this Easy Plum Cobbler!
- There are so many things you can do with zucchini, but I’m going to add this Pesto Zucchini Orzo to my dinner list!
- What do you do with patty pan squash? Well, this Pan Roasted Patty Pan Squash is a great place to start.
- I am a huge fan of pesto, and basil is perfect for it. I bet it’s amazing in this Prosciutto-Pesto Breakfast Strata!
We’re so excited to tag along on this food journey with you this season, and we hope you’re all enjoying the last few weeks of summer!
Chelsea and your Winter Green farmers