Market Loubia Print Recipe Back to Website
Tunisian White Bean Stew with Beef Fennel Meatballs
Recipe by Houda Miled for H.o.W. Cooking School
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 5 large cloves garlic, minced
- 3 medium size Roma tomatoes
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 2 cans cannellini beans
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 3 tbsp Tunisian Harissa
- 3 cups tomato sauce/water/broth
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp + 1tsp paprika
- 1 tbsp coriander
- 2 tbsp freshly ground fennel seeds
- 1 Anaheim pepper (or bell pepper)
- ½ cup green olives in olive oil
- ½ cup freshly chopped parsley
- Season ground beef with 2 tbsp harissa, 1 tbsp paprika, 1 tbsp kosher salt; ½ tsp ground black pepper, 1 tsp turmeric, 2 minced garlic cloves, and 2 tbsp freshly ground fennel seeds.
- Wet hands and form 1.5-inch meatballs. Set aside.
- In a medium-sized pot or pan, sauté ¾ of the diced onions and three minced garlic cloves in 2 tbsp olive oil for about 2 min on medium low heat until onion is translucent.
- Add 3 tbsp tomato paste, 1 tbsp harissa, 1 tbsp coriander, and 1 tbsp paprika and sauté while stirring often for 3 min.
- Cube and add tomatoes. Sauté for about 5 min then add 3 cups tomato sauce, broth or water, bring to a boil.
- Gently add meatballs keeping them separate. Lower heat to low, cover, and simmer for 20 min.
- Add full Anaheim (or bell) pepper, drained cannellini beans, and ½ cup green olives in olive oil and simmer for another 15 min. The sauce should be somewhat thick. Taste and add salt if needed.
- Plate and garnish with fresh chopped parsley & reserved onion.